Thursday 9 July 2015

Yum

Punjabi Bhatura

As the name says, this is a hearty food. Punjabi food is spicy, tangy and delicious. Chole Bhature is the best known combination of Punjabi cuisine. We often eat Chole Bhature , because my family is a big fan of this dish, even friends come over for the chole bhature party.

Bhatura/Bhature, is made another form of fried bread made from plain flour/maida or sometimes 50:50 ratio of wheat flour and Maida. I make it each way. Some people add semolina in it to get the crunchy texture, but that makes Bhatura to soak a lot of oil, which noone in my family likes.

This recipe of Bhatura is my mom's recipe and tried and tested by me several times. So I totally trust this recipe. My mum keeps the dough to ferment overnight and then knead it again to active the gluten of the flour. Thats what I've learned from her and use her way of making Soft, fluffy and delicious Bhaturas.

Few ingredients, less hassle recipe is the best recipe for me. You also try this recipe at home and leave your feedback in comments below. I would love to hear from you. Until next time............... Happy Cooking Friends, Saumya

Ingredients:

Maida/Plain Flour                   - 1-1/2 cups
Salt                                          - to taste / 1 tspoon
Oil/Butter                                - 1 tblspoon + for deep frying
Yogurt                                     -  1/3 cup
Baking Powder                        - 1/2 tspoon
Baking Soda                            - 1/4 tspoon
Warm Water                            - 1/2 cup to as required

Method:

In a mixing bowl, take the yoghurt, baking powder, baking soda, 1 tblspoon oil, salt  and flour.
Mix well, with the help of water form a soft smooth and pliable dough.

If the yogurt is thick and has it's water/whey in it, probably you don't need all the water.
If the yogurt is thick, then to thin the batter, add more water.

Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and set it aside in a warm place for atleast 3-4 hours to get the fermentation. if the weather is too cold, keep the dough overnight..
The 4 hours later/next day you will see the dough will be more than double in size and has bubbles in it.
Punch and Knead the dough again to make it smooth.

Divide it into 8-10 balls (depending on the size of Bhatura you like)  and roll them into 5-6 inch discs.

Heat oil or ghee in heavy Karahi/Pan and deep fry the bhaturas, same way as Poori or Kachori.



Bhaturas are the best companion of Punjabi Chole. Serve them Hot with Chole, Raita, Salad and Chutney.


4 comments:



  1. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I look forward to trying it out...
    Indian Restaurants in South Campus

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bhatura goes totally brown as I fry it sometime...what's the reason behind this...kindly help..should I keep my dough in fridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do not fry them in very high heat. Also dont make them too thin. Let me know how do you make your dough.

      Delete